Monday, February 8, 2021

My Thoughts on AG's New Releases (P. 1)



 Hello everyone, 

I thought I'd take a look at American Girl's newest releases, since I've talked about a Girl For All Time's and Carpatina's releases in the past. Let's begin: 

(image from American Girl, https://www.americangirl.com/shop/c/girl-of-the-year-kira)


I personally find that her storyline is a copy in some ways of Leah Clark's (who is one of my favorite Girls of the Year). However, it doesn't mean that they can't write a similar storyline well. Instead of Brazil, Kira travels to Australia and is protecting Koalas. I do like is that they are focusing on a real issue that is going on in Australia (the wild-fires). 

However. I do wish they had chosen to create a little more of an imaginative doll to go along with the real world issue. 

Leah was a popular doll and I remember going to the store and hearing a girl talk to one of the employees ask if Leah was still around. The girl was very disappointed that Leah had been retired, and I'm sure she wasn't alone, so I can see why they would make a doll like Kira. 
Though I am a bit frustrated that they decided to make her blonde, given that they have a lot of blonde dolls.  





(Image from American Girl, https://www.americangirl.com/shop/p/kiras-comfy-platform-tent-gvf54)



The tent is pretty, though it does feel a bit like a copy of Leah's tree house, even though  the tent is much more pink and a lot less intricate. I actually found that Luciana Vega's space station was a lot more interesting. 

(Image from American Girl, https://www.americangirl.com/shop/p/world-traveler-in-ireland-and-irish-souvenir-set-for-18-inch-dolls-06bun165)


American Girl definitely decided to focus heavily on shamrocks when making this. Though I would have to say Ireland isn't all about shamrocks and four leaf clovers. 
 
For these outfits in particular I think they cared less about capturing the feeling of the places and a little more of what foreigners think of the places or hope to see when visiting. It seems to be a recurring theme with the different places, Japan, England, France, etc. 


(Image from American Girl, https://www.americangirl.com/shop/p/courtney-doll-and-book-and-courtneys-meet-accessory-05bun03)




Courtney is a historical doll, however, to me she isn't very historical, as she is from 1986.  That isn't very long ago, and I was not very psyched about the release. I almost feel as if AG should have have a separate line called "vintage dolls"  because I don't really think that Julie, Courtney, and Maryellen are really historical. (At least at the moment, in the far future they may be). 

There are some other time periods that AG doesn't have dolls for. I think it would be neat if they made dolls from these time periods: 1920s, the American Victorian period, or they could even focus on the suffragettes more (Samantha did have the suffragettes in her story, but her aunt was against it for most of the story, and it was only a small subplot).The dolls from these periods would have really beautiful clothes and I feel like dolls from recent times don't have such cool clothes as dolls from the time periods I just listed. 

(Image from American Girl, https://www.americangirl.com/shop/p/courtneys-pleasant-company-doll-grn50)




One thing I thought was interesting about this collection, is that they have a doll which is a smaller one of their larger dolls (Molly) and retired dolls. Now, a larger doll can have their own Pleasant Company version of Molly.  (Molly hasn't yet returned but may in the future return to the Beforever line). 

Also what I find neat about it, is that the doll has Molly's original  book and has the Pleasant Company doll magazine. 








(Images from American Girl, 
here, here, and here)


American girl recently made dolls with colored hair. Out of all them I actually prefer the doll with purple hair, since the color isn't too bright for me. And I think the hair really fits her, and it doesn't look as if she is wearing a wig with her natural hair hidden underneath. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------What do you think of Kira Bailey, do you like her? And do you like the new dolls with colored hair? 
-Quinley 




4 comments:

  1. According to all of the American Girl advertisements that Youtube kept bombarding me with, Courtney's story is set in 1986. When American Girl first announced Courtney's release, the fact that the 1980s was considered a historical period made me feel old.
    I seem to remember the suffrage movement being an important plot point in Samantha's birthday story, with Samantha's grandmother being against it and Samantha's aunt by marriage being a supporter.
    American Girl mini dolls have actually been available, off and on, since 1995. The first set of dolls had glass eyes that, honestly, looked kind of creepy. Later releases had painted eyes.
    When the dolls with colored hair first came out, one of my sisters immediately contacted to find out if I'd heard about them, because she knows I like dolls with 'fantasy hair colors'.
    It was nice to read your thoughts on the new releases. I hope you are staying well and safe.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to "meet" someone loves dolls as much as I do.
      The thing that I thought was neat about this particular mini doll (because you're right they have been around for a while), was that she was a copy of the Pleasant Company dolls and not the Mattel dolls.

      I agree, the dolls with the Fantasy hair colors are really cool.
      I hope you're staying well and safe as well,
      -Quinley

      Delete
  2. I am not a huge fan of Kira. Nothing against her, but she just doesn't seem very original to me.
    I like Courtney, but I agree with you that she should be considered vintage instead of historical.
    I really love all of the dolls with colored hair. The purple-haired one is my favorite (probably because purple is my favorite color), though the one with the pink-and-teal hair looks like a fantasy creature (almost like a human version of a unicorn).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's neat to hear your thoughts on the dolls, McKayla. :)
      And the doll with pink and teal colored hair does look like a human version of a unicorn.
      -Quinley

      Delete

Comment moderation is turned on. I apologize if your comment does not show up right away. If your comments are off-topic, inflammatory, or mean they will not be approved.