Sunday, August 1, 2021

Custom Doll: Elm



Hello everyone,
                             
I had been wanting to make custom dolls of some of my characters for a long time.  Previously, I had made a doll of Gletta Short a character from Eyes in the Night before this (I plan to post her customization in the future), so I felt I should make a doll of one of my other characters...

 I decided it was time to make Elm my dryad character, who appears often on my creative arts blog. She is a dryad with a magical singing voice, and her singing can cause magical things to happen. 


I started with this doll. I hadn't decided who I was going to turn her into at first. 
I was thinking perhaps Hazel from Heroes of Olympus, but then I decided she would be the perfect Elm. 

I removed her factory paint using nail polish remover 
(and rinsed her off under the sink afterwards). 

Then I began painting the area where her eyes had been white for the pupils 
and cutting her hair, as it was too short and not the right color. 









Then using a reference image I usually use when drawing her, I added more details to her face. 



I also  gave her yarn hair that matched her 
hair color, given that Elm's hair is black and the doll's hair had been brown. 


I then began by painting her right eye. 


I then finished the right eye. (But I don't have a photo of painting the pupil). 

I then made her chiton, I tried to make it look somewhat Greek like. 

Before                                                                                                                                                After
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you ever made a doll of your original character? 
-Quinley 


8 comments:

  1. Hey there! I’ve never done one of these but it looks fun! Elm is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sadie. :) Thank you, it was fun, and I'm glad you like the way Elm turned out. :D
      -Quinley

      Delete
  2. WOW!! She looks so much better, you are so good at repainting dolls :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wanted to try my hand at repainting dolls for a long time, but I've never gotten the nerve. The idea of completely wiping a doll's face paint and redoing it from scratch is intimidating, especially since I have zero experience.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was scared to do it the first time too, that's why I ended up painting over my doll's faces before I started using nail polish remover to get it off. (I did this with my Titania doll). I also practiced the first time with dolls from the thrift store that I wouldn't be upset if I messed up.
      -Quinley

      Delete
  4. wow she’s so pretty, I’ve been making my own custom doll the past couple days, I’ll post it on my blog when it’s done 😊

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on. I apologize if your comment does not show up right away. If your comments are off-topic, inflammatory, or mean they will not be approved.